Fun Things To Read On A Friday

rituals
Source

The weekend looks so dang good to me right now.

How are you guys? I am freaking exhausted! This week has gone by in an absolute whirlwind of work, projects, chores and daily grind and I am so happy that (among other things) I picked up convenience stuff at Trader Joe’s this week because I literally would NOT have made it through the Whole 30 without it. (Speaking of, Caitlin wrote a great post about convenience staples that is worth reading.) I had not an ounce of brain power to think about food this week. In fact I can hardly remember the things I ate because I was constantly eating with the intention of just “putting something in my system” so I could move on to something else that needed to get done. These aren’t my favorite kind of weeks, but eh — I survived! And now the reward is the weekend! And a loooooong weekend at that. Hooray!

*Tomorrow we are headed to the bay area to cheer on some athletes from our CrossFit box who are competing at the Nor Cal Masters competition. It’s a competition specifically designed for athletes who are 40+ and I love it! I wrote about it last year but I just find it super inspiring. I love the message in this video about it. Such a cool event!

*While we’re talking about CrossFit (and videos!) I enjoyed this post from Carrots’n’Cake with kipping pull up tips. I am really determined to do pull ups this year! It is going to take an EXTREME amount of effort on my part, but that will make the victory that much sweeter, right?

*Thanks again for all your support about The Relay! I’m so glad to hear that many of you have participated and survived. Score! We picked legs last night (I’m running Leg 9 thankfully and Garrett is running Leg 7) and I’m looking forward to figuring out my training strategy. I read this post about Why Running Makes Us Happy: The Importance of Flow recently and found myself nodding along throughout. Especially during this part:

“I’m on the cusp of starting a new hobby and I’m unbelievably excited. Why? I know I’m going to royally suck and the motivation to improve to get to that flow state strikes a deep inner drive.”

*Want to see the best thing I read all week? It was this. Hands down.

*I’m feeling a little tense lately because my “life plate” is approaching max capacity. This weekend I plan to practice this.

*Lastly, can we talk food? OF COURSE WE CAN. You know I am a newly converted fan of homemade vinaigrettes. Check out these awesome combos over on The Cuisinerd. Delicious AND pretty to look at. Love that.

*****

So what’s on your plate this weekend — literally or figuratively? I’m not sure I will be able to do a photo round up this weekend of Whole 30 food, but I will do my best. I will be back for sure on Sunday though with a weekly meal plan. Next week is the last full week of Whole 30! (I am thinking about continuing through February. CRAZY TOWN! But it sounds kind of nice. ha!) Hope you have a great weekend friends!

15 comments to Fun Things To Read On A Friday

• Danielle
    January 18, 2013 at 7:50 am

That’s a great quote up there. :)

This weekend is for relaxing, friends and (of course) some marathon meal planning/prepping. Next week will be intense at work and I need the cooking and thinking about what to eat to be extremely minimal! Really appreciated the convenience foods post for that reason.

I’m also toying with the idea of extending through Feb….oh dear.

• Samantha
    January 18, 2013 at 8:16 am

This weekend is now going to be for reading through the entire archives of the Cuisinerd now – so much amazing! We have a friend coming to visit until tomorrow, but that’s it, and I’m thankful.

I’ve been calling this a Whole30/Whole60 from my planning stages. I’ve done 2 rounds of 30 in the past 15 months, but I really think I need to push it further to get those habits better ingrained. I did promise my 10 year old we could make sunbutter chocolates on day 31, but that’s the only plan I have to deviate.

January 18, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Yes, exactly. It may not be as *strict* as January (because seriously 18 days in I still really need wine!) but I feel super good. Don’t want that to stop!

• Caitlin
        January 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Holly, glad you enjoyed that post AND super glad to hear I’m not the only one still struggling with cravings. It’s making me feel like a failure!

• Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed
    January 18, 2013 at 8:17 am

I am going away to the mountains this weekend for some skiing and relaxing! I’m going to face more delicious snacks that I can’t eat, but I’m planning on bringing my own stuff so I don’t have to suffer completely!

January 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Hope it is relaxing and tons of fun! Good luck with your snacks. Make them extra delicious!

• Caitlin
        January 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

My previous comment disappeared into the ether. Anyway, glad you enjoyed the post AND glad to see I’m not the only one struggling with cravings 18 days in. It’s been making me feel like a failure!

• Alicia
    January 19, 2013 at 6:27 am

Great link round up! I really enjoyed the piece from Zen Habits.

My Whole30 week was saved by convenience food too- at the beginning of the month, I made a huge pot of chili and froze some. This week when I slunk into the house after a couple long, stressful days in a row, I was overjoyed to have something easy waiting for me. This weekend I’m going to make another batch of chili as well as some containers of creamy arrot ginger soup – goes well with any kind of basic protein. I’m loving the inspiration from your Instagram/Twitter roundups!

• Karen B.
    January 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I have been sick for almost this entire whole30 so I’m making more soup. Chicken soup, butternut squash soup and coconut milk seafood soup. Some chicken wings, chard, blueberries, apples and lots of tea.

• Lisa K.
    January 19, 2013 at 7:13 pm

What’s your new hobby?

• Emily
    January 20, 2013 at 5:41 am

This weekend is for measuring closets to order elfa inserts, installing new blinds, and rearranging/reorganizing my kitchen cabinets (such a nerd because I’m SO EXCITED!!) Also for meal planning and prepping… can you tell I have a three day weekend?

Holly and Samantha – If you are continuing your Whole30 into February I’m in, too! I actually met some friends at a buffalo wings joint for happy hour on Friday night and did not crave the buffalo wings OR beer sitting in front of me (both total weak points for me). I think it’s working!! And now that my major muffin top is disappearing, I’d like to see if the weight loss will continue. I’m actually getting so bold as to think I can do this paleo thing full-time now…

• Kristie
    January 20, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I am in for February too! I am not over the cravings and feel like I need more time to work out those issues. I love your blog, just discovered it through whole9 Facebook Post, keep it coming! I have two great recipes, I will post in the morning.

• Wendy A.
    January 21, 2013 at 12:08 am

I found your blog on Pinterest today and fell in love! Read it ALL day. So much great info. You have a warmth to your writing I feel like I kow you. Start my first Whole 30 1/22 seemed fitting did not want it on the first. Thanks for all you do.