This weekend at the gym was the Annual ARCFit Wod-A-Thon which, as you may have seen in year’s past, involves some dressing up in costumes, some workouts and some general hijinks. Afterward comes my favorite part: THE BBQ + POTLUCK, duh. 🙂
The recipe below is adapted from an old Food & Wine recipe and it is just perfect for cool weather gatherings or holidays. The prep time is practically nothing, and it can be made up to a day ahead.
I think you’re going to love it!
- 1¼ cups walnuts, toasted at 350 for 8 minutes
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 lbs of celery (roughly 1.5-2 bunches), thinly sliced (on the bias if you feel fancy!)
- 1 cup dried pitted Medjool dates, quartered lengthwise
- 3 ounces pecorino cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- For the dressing: combine the shallot with the sherry vinegar. Whisk in both oils and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the salad: In a large bowl toss the toasted walnuts, celery, dates and pecorino. Add the dressing and toss. Serve at once.
- A note on storage: The salad and dressing can be refrigerated separately for up to 1 day. Store the walnuts in an airtight container and add to the salad just before serving.