2013 Summer Bucket List

summer  bucket list copy

I like how summer just snuck right in this weekend. I was contemplating not making a bucket list this year because work is still taking up a ridiculous amount of time and brain space, but I just can’t. do. it. I had to make one!

This year’s bucket list is decidedly short and mostly superficial but I think that is just what I need. Work is taking up a lot of time, so I want to make sure my time outside of work is full of silly, superficial pleasures. To me, that will make this summer a success!

1. Get tan. Stay tan.

Oooh, I am already working on this in the best way and I can’t wait to tell you all about it. Sometimes I don’t mind being super pale. Sometimes I like a little color on my skin. This summer — will be the SUMMER OF COLOR!

2. Prioritize manicures + pedicures.

Iowa realization: it brings me great pleasure to look at my fingernails and have them look nice. It’s really not that difficult and I like it a lot. GET IT DONE.

3. Get at least 2 more massages.

Secondary Iowa realization: getting a massage after a crazy week of workouts feels amazing, and I’m worth it.

4. Learn the words to some really awful cheesy pop songs. Sing them incessantly while driving.

When the sun’s blazing and the air conditioner is blowing — the only thing that makes running errands fun is belting out a little Justin Timberlake. Or Daft Punk. Or Selena Gomez. Or Taylor Swift. Sorry, it’s a fact. :)

5. Smell like summer ALL THE DAMN TIME.

My shower is stocked with coconut conditioner. My lotion smells like the beach. My skin is tan, my house is clean and smells like a sea breeze. Summer – 24:7.

6. Find a maxi dress you love FOR REAL this summer.

This is like searching for Bigfoot. But dammit, I am COMING FOR YOU!

7. Eat on the patio at least once per week.

Icy beverage, paper plates, the smell of BBQ in the air? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

8. Don’t be too sad about the garden.

I didn’t plant a summer garden this year and really, it’s depressing the crap out of me. But I need to snap out of it and start to plan fall. YOU ARE STILL ALLOWED TO ENJOY ZUCCHINI AND TOMATOES, HOLLY. EVEN IF YOU DIDN’T GROWN THEM YOURSELF.

9. Workout a few mornings per week.

Afternoon workouts are harder these days for two reasons: 1) it’s a million degrees out and 2) I have a lot less mental tenacity after work these days. I want to squeeze in some AM Sweat Sessions.

10. Drink a lot of iced coffee. (Ok, not too much. But, still.)

Iced Coffee is THE BOMB. But I’m usually too lazy to prepare a batch. This summer, I will rectify that.

********

What’s on YOUR summer bucket list?

20 comments to 2013 Summer Bucket List

• Megan W
    June 17, 2013 at 7:05 am

So proud that to of your list items came from Iowa, haha!

And let me recommend “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke for your song of summer. I can not help but groove and sing in falsetto when I hear it!

• Erica
    June 17, 2013 at 7:10 am

I love your list.

• Maureen
    June 17, 2013 at 7:31 am

What a GREAT list! Summer is meant for us ladies to take care of ourselves with tans and pedicures! I LOVE anything that smells like coconut this time of year. :)

• Laura
    June 17, 2013 at 8:14 am

Sounds like a great list! Care to share some recommendations for coconut/beach scented products? I can’t seem to find any I like!

• Rebecca (Bearca)
    June 17, 2013 at 8:44 am

Holly, I LOVE your list. I am also trying to prioritize manicures & pedicures because WHY NOT.

• Lisa
    June 17, 2013 at 10:50 am

Like searching for Bigfoot! hahahaha!!! So very true.
    I second the Blurred Lines recommendation.

June 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Thanks for making me think about this! While I will not be tanning (I burn too easily so I’ll just wear a lot of sunscreen and hats), I will be trying to be out in the sunshine while it’s here. Maybe not in my own yard because my neighbors are jerks but at local parks and near the water. I want to go on picnics! And read books while lounging on a blanket. I also want to put our bbq into action as so far we’ve attempted to cook 2 things and neither worked out very well (we are newbies to this grilling thing). I’d like to go on more walks too. Oh and drink more rose! ;-)

• sara
    June 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Two summers to find a Maxi dress that worked for me! Good luck with bigfoot.

• Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed
    June 18, 2013 at 4:28 am

Love this! I’m planning a mani/pedi with my mom and sister this weekend. Also, always a fan of a good tanning session by the pool or the ocean! Some more serious goals are to walk more and focus on produce. And yes… coconut everything :)

• 5 Things To Do With: ZUCCHINI
    June 19, 2013 at 5:00 am

[...] mentioned on my Summer Bucket List that I need to work on not being depressed about our lack of garden this year, so part of my [...]

June 19, 2013 at 6:22 am

LOVE this list! Thank you for inspiring me. Maybe I should add a little mini bucket list to the end of my monthly round-ups. :)

• lisa viles
    June 21, 2013 at 6:26 am

Great list! I want to know about the coconut products!! I made a yummy scrup with coconut oil and it’s wonderful!

• Laura Uschyk
    June 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm

What do you have your iced coffee with? Coconut milk? Almond milk? I can’t do black.

• June Round-Up | Moi Contre La Vie
    July 1, 2013 at 5:02 am

[...] reading my friend Holly’s amazing 2013 Summer Bucket List and Cupcakes & Cashmere’s Summer To Do List I was inspired to create my own mini bucket [...]