Just about every Sunday I whip up an egg casserole while doing my food prep for the week. I use a 13×9 casserole dish because it yields 8 nice sized squares. Symmetry makes me happy! Plus then I can put them in individual containers with roasted vegetables so Garrett + I have a grab and go breakfast for the week. I assure you it would be just as lovely to serve to friends at brunch.
I have a few favorite breakfast casserole recipes that I rotate through so I don’t get bored, but for the last few weeks I’ve been making this one with ground beef and spinach. Seasoned ground beef and eggs go really well together, and when you throw in a metric ton of spinach you get to start your day off with a leafy green smugness that helps you run faster, jump higher and knock out your To-Do List with superhero-esque strength.
The best part about it? Very few ingredients!
Look at that. That’s nothing!
You start by sauteing half an onion until it is translucent, then browning ground beef and seasoning the mixture with salt, pepper and garlic powder. So far, so good, right? Then it’s time for the go-go juice. Uh, I mean the spinach. Let’s talk about the spinach for a second, shall we? I’m going to give you a really specific measurement to add and that is 2 to 4 large handfuls. Got that? 🙂 It doesn’t matter if you have large hands or small hands, you just want to dig deep in your bag and pull out the biggest handful you can handle and then throw it in the pan. Repeat this until you are satisfied that you have enough giddy-up and go. The thing about spinach though is that it looks likes too much when you throw it in the pan, but then it cooks down to almost nothing. I have huge hands, which a jeweler recently confirmed to me (THANKS BUT NO THANKS WE WILL BUY NO JEWELRY FROM YOU!) so I like to use about 3 handfuls.
See? Not too bad.
All that goes into a casserole dish, your seasoned eggs get poured over it (Yep, egg seasoning. It’s necessary!) Then you bake, and most importantly YOU EAT! That last part is the best part.
Enjoy it in your breakfast nook or out of a tupperware at your desk at work. Either way it’s a great dish and I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely diced
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2-4 Large Handfuls Spinach
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 12 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13×9 casserole dish
- Heat Olive Oil over medium in a large skillet
- Saute diced onion until translucent, about 5-7 minutes
- Add ground beef and crumble with a wooden spoon and brown until cooked through
- Season meat and onion mixture with 3/4 teaspoons of salt and 3/4 teaspoons of pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Add spinach and let it wilt while stirring into the meat mixture
- Sprinkle in 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg. This gives your spinach a little something extra!
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl crack 12 eggs, season with remaining salt and pepper and scramble with a fork
- When spinach is wilted, transfer meat mixture to casserole dish
- Pour egg mixture over meat mixture
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove foil and finish baking for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to desired doneness