Stopping The Insanity

source

So on April 1st I’m trashing my scale.

Ok well maybe not trashing it, it’s a really fancy scale. For what I paid for it though, it should probably make and deliver my morning coffee as well as tell me all of my numbers. But I’m having Garrett hide it, because I think it’s time to take back my sanity a little bit.

I used to weigh myself all of the time and now, while I only do it once a week, it still does cross my mind on a daily basis. Worse, sometimes during my weekly weigh ins, I let it affect how I feel about my OVERALL progress. I generally weigh myself Friday mornings because it is so nice to go into a weekend down a few pounds, knowing that your week has been a success! But also there are weeks that ARE successful where I do not go into the weekend down a few pounds, and the feelings that brew up on those are Fridays are starting to get to me.

I imagine you can guess how today’s weigh in went, yes?

It is so stupid to have so much success, and yet I allow myself to get all emo while standing on a scale on a random Friday morning. What’s more stupid is that I can have a week where I eat well, feel great, workout a lot and ENJOY MY LIFE and then come Friday morning if the scale doesn’t show my preferred type of progress I start to feel like “WOE!!! WHY IS EVERYTHING A FAILURE???” I mean, can you even believe the stupidity of that? When I say it out loud, it just sounds so RIDICULOUS.

So you know what? I’m going to stop doing that.

REVA-FRICKEN-LATION!

So I’m telling you all this to hold myself accountable and to let you know that I’m going to take a month off. I’m not going to talk about my weight loss progress with in the context of pounds on this website. I just…well, I just don’t want to for a minute. I need a break. I need some time to get my mind right. I don’t plan to make any changes to what I’m doing — hooray for Paleo/Zone, I’m going to keep up my workouts because I love them, but I just need to get my eye OFF of The Prize for a mother-frickin-minute.

There are a million reasons why it is lame to be so scale dependent, here is my favorite list of a few, but at this point I don’t need to “motivate” myself stop doing something I just need to *actually” stop doing it.

And sometimes it helps me to just say these things out loud.

11 comments to Stopping The Insanity

• Tory
    March 23, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I’m not giving my scale up, but only because it measures Body Fat %, Water weight, bone %, and BMI…I am however not getting too wrapped up in the lbs on the scale. I’m doing my best all while taking Prednisone-the worst drug known to man. I’m happy with any changes for the positive while on this med. I googled “losing weight on Prednisone” and everything I read said it’s near impossible. So, I’m just going to keep eating well and working out and focusing on the BF% instead.

March 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Keep it up, girl! Seriously. That is an uphill battle. I was trying to pay more attention to the body fat on my own scale but it swings 4-5% depending on hydration, which I find irritating…so — BUH BYE SCALE, it is! I just don’t want to measure anything. Take a month off, do my thing…see what happens :)

• LizScott
    March 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Grab a tape measure. For serious. And seriously ditch the scale, I do not care how much it costs. You wouldn’t stay with a shitty boyfriend just because you had invested years and years right? Sell it on craigslist and go buy yourself something pretty.

March 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I think I just need a month off of measuring ANYTHING. I have been tape measuring myself since I started (THANK GOD, or I probably would have offed myself…HA!) but recently I feel like my body has been changing in the zones that don’t really get measured..if that makes sense. For example…love handle-y area: notably smaller — yet no change in waist or hip measurement…I mean FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. I just…I just need to exhale. But since you suggested buying myself something pretty, I think I just might :) hehe

• chelsea
    March 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Dude. I let not losing pounds (but losing inches and inches) convince me I couldn’t lose weight and fall off the healthy living and reasonable portions and not a bottle of wine a night bandwagon.

SO.

Agree. Haven’t been on a scale in a while. Don’t want to. All that matters is I fit into wedding dress, kthx.

March 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm

This is such an important point — the discouragement of seeing no change on the scale THEN AFFECTS the way I treat my body, which is just bass-ackwards! I think I’ll regroup, treat myself well, and just see what happens you know. Life is good, my fitness is good, my clothes are good…THINGS ARE GOOD. eff off scale!!! :)

• Brittany
    March 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Holly! So proud of you.

I have never owned a scale and don’t ever plan on owning one. When people ask me how much I weigh, all I can tell them is the last time I went to the doctor.

My family owned a scale growing up and when I was a teenager I weighed myself a lot. It would almost always make me feel worse about myself. I decided then I wouldn’t ever use the scale to measure my success in trying to be in shape – I would use the fit of my clothes, specifically my pants to tell me that. (My pants do a great job telling me if I am gaining weight).

Bravo, Holly!

March 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I agree with this a thousand-fold.

• Susanah
    March 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Good plan, Holly. I have cut back to once a month, but even that may go by the wayside. All I want is to go down one pants size (as far as body size goals) and I don’t care how much I weigh when I reach that goal. It is taking forever but I will not give up. Yea, get healthy now cuz it is really slow like a snail when you are older!
    Holly, I wanted to also say I love reading your blog – you are a great writer – thanks for bloggin’!

• March Progress Report + April Intentions
    March 30, 2012 at 11:24 am

[…] for April: *Trash the scale, continue to CrossFit for the joy it brings to your life *Run a 5K just for fun (Local peeps, want […]

• Saturday Snapshots — Munchies Edition
    April 7, 2012 at 5:01 am

[…] general daily updates. Thanks for stopping by!We’ve been eating a lot of tasty treats since I hid the scale. Funny how that works, eh? Just kidding! I don’t even mean diving headfirst into the ice […]