- What did you do in 2018 that you’d never done before?
Took Holden on his first weekend trip. Hmmmm I think that might be it. This didn’t really feel like a year of a lot of new things, but motherhood sometimes feels like everything is new all the time. It’s a strange feeling. Mostly it felt like I was getting better at old things? I can’t decide if that is good or bad.
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any goals for 2018, and HELL TO THE YES do I plan to make new goals for 2019. This is the first time in over two years I have felt like I have capacity to think aspirationally.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
We added another adorable baby boy in my extended family.
- Did anyone close to you die?
No. But this year, more than any other, I felt like I kept seeing reminders on Facebook of friends of mine who have now passed away. It’s a weird and sad experience.
- Where did you travel?
We took a weekender to Napa in February with friends, which was a blast. We also went up to Trinidad for my 40th birthday as a family and it was beautiful and rejuvenating and a wonderful family trip.
- What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
A consistent workout routine. A regular babysitter. Another baby. #TotallyNotPregnant #butIsortawishIwas
- What dates from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
We took an early morning walk during our Napa weekender, just Garrett, Holden and I. We were staying at a beautiful property and literally the scenery was out of a postcard. I was there with my two favorite boys, it was crisp and gorgeous, and I just looked around and had an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for my life and my family. Motherhood has been a hard adjustment for me in many ways. But I have also accessed some of my deepest moments of joy. That morning and that walk was one of them.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Continuing to be resilient through a number of personal and professional changes. Also, I turned 40. Man that sounds like a REAL ADULT to me. hahahahahaha
- What was your biggest failure?
Bickering with my husband about things that don’t matter in the big scheme of things. Still struggling with perfectionism, defensiveness and my inability to relinquish control.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
For the most part, no. Though my body and its capabilities are still very different after having a baby.
- What was the best thing you bought?
Ceiling storage racks for our garage. Blackout curtains for Holden’s room during the summer. A new car for Garrett. Wild and Crazy, eh?
- Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, fo sho! Also to paying off our Costco Visa off every month. That sucker has the best cash back EVER so we basically put EVERYTHING ON IT!
- What did you get really excited about?
All the fun things that happen in our neighborhood. Holden talking SO MUCH! Getting a cool new position at my company.
- What song will always remind you of 2018?
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier
– thinner or fatter? The same actually. Probably even less muscle. Ugh
– richer or poorer? Richer.
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
More date nights with my husband.
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Controlling things. I have a tendency to get very controlling when I’m anxious. It doesn’t help me, my family, or really anyone around me. I need to practice letting things flow a little more.
- How did you spend Christmas?
A day of family and extended family. Eating a little too much. Enjoying each other’s company.
- What was your favorite TV program?
I watched So. Little. TV. This year. It was kind of sad actually. I am very happy that we are ending the year with a new season of Vanderpump Rules though.
- What were your favorite books of the year?
I actually read quite a few good books this year. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/399174-holly?shelf=2018-reads
- What was your favorite music this year?
Still on a country streak. I even got Garrett to take me to see Jason Aldean (and he loved it!
- What were your favorite films of the year?
I get an F in Entertainment.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40 and we took an awesome family vacation. We stayed at a house on the coast with a hot tub on the front porch. Every night after we put Holden down we would head out there with wine and soak while listening to waves crash. It the most relaxing relaxation of all relaxation. Hahahaha
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If my paycheck still arrived every two weeks but I never had to leave my house or family to go to work. LOL
- What was the political issue you that stirred you?
Too many to list.
- What kept you sane?
My husband. My mom. My cousins who are some of my best text message threads. Good friends in the same season of life. The ability to be slightly spontaneous again. The innocence of my sweet baby boy. Wine. Coffee.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017.
Continuous Improvement > Perfection
Done > Perfect
The days are definitely long, but indeed the years are WAY TOO SHORT. I feel like I will be learning that over and over again.