5 Simple Goals

Untitled

I’ve been making a marked effort this year to balance the personal and professional. 2013 was the Year of My Job, and I want 2014 to look a little bit more balanced.

The inner goal setter in me, however, NEEDS a vision. I spent the month of January experimenting with tiny micro-goals each week that I hoped would help me feel productive and focus on life outside my job. Sometimes they were small, sometimes silly, and sometimes they were meaty and complex. But I never tried to focus on more than 5 things, and what do you know, it’s been pretty manageable. I don’t achieve them all each week necessarily, but it guides my focus. I thought I’d share them on occasion.

Here’s what’s on this week’s agenda:

1. Workout 4 Times

Boys are jogging the track // Girls are running the bleacher stairs.
I can’t seem to get over the hump of 3 workouts per week. Part of that has been taking it easy on my back, and part of that (honestly) has been me being a little lazy. This is the week where I want to commit to four workouts. I’m thinking 2 CrossFit workouts, a workout with my friend Kari (which will probably be a bootcamp or TRX — EEP I’ve never done TRX and I think I’ll be a mess!) and then a Yoga/Wild Card workout. Garrett + I have been loving running bleacher stairs lately and sprinting (Buster too — especially the sprinting!), so maybe something like that. Sounds like a good variety. Four times! I can do this!

2. Complete Fit Bit #Operation50

Finally some #operation50 success! 50k steps. 50 floors. Now I want to see 2 weeks in a row! #fitbit
Ever since I got my FitBit I’ve been aiming for my weekly goals add up to 50,000 steps and 50 flights of stairs. That might seem like a lot or a little to you depending on how active you are, but for my life in this moment this is proving to be a challenge. The Steps goal requires me to get up and get away from desk at work (or else I won’t hit it) and the Stairs goal keeps me motivated to take the stairs at work. I’d like to aim for #Operation75 sometime in the near future, but I can’t even consistently hit 50 every week, so that’s where I’m leaving it for now, and for this week.

3. Wash Car

I know, this seems silly and administrative but it’s been on my To Do List for weeks and needs to get done. I EVEN HAVE A COUPON, which means I only need to *drive* my car over to get washed. I don’t even have to wash it myself! So really, there’s no excuse.

4. Skip Dessert During the Week

We know how to party!  ☕️☕️
I’ve been abusing dessert. This is my confession. :) It’s one of those things I rationalize by saying “Oh hey, but I worked out.” or “These cookies are totally Paleo, they’re harmless.” I’ve even gone to rationalizing that “It’s only dried mango” as I’ve mawed the entire Trader Joe’s bag. So this week, I’ve decided to focus on getting that in check. I bought a bag of Honeycrisp Apples at Costco this weekend and I have some fun flavored herbal teas — it’s that or nothing. I’m going to aim to eat a good dinner and let that be that. We’ll see how hard this is. :)

5. Post 5 times on the Blog

OHMYGAWD I have so many posts that I want to finish (SOOOOOO MUCH TO SAY, SOOOOO MANY STORIES TO TELL) so I need to just GIT’R DONE and get things posted. I want to really review my Fitbit One and tell you why I love it, tell you about my Keto Experiment, Review my experience with Gwynnie Bee, Share my favorite weeknight recipe, Share my Books To Be Read List, Talk about some Beauty Products, Discuss a cash saving tip I just discovered, Write about strengths/weaknesses, Show you my favorite winter “uniform” lately, Share my opinions about blogging and how it has changed (and why I love that!) Not to mention the links. Soooooo many links! — YOU SEE! I probably need to post 10 times, but we’re going to aim for 5.

*****

And that’s that. Five little things to focus on. Simple Simon.

What are your 5 Simple Goals this week? Do tell…..

14 comments to 5 Simple Goals

• Jillian
    February 3, 2014 at 10:49 am

I like how you’re approaching the FitBit…as a weekly goal vs. daily. It’s easy to get depressed when you don’t get the 10,000 steps a day. I was totally enjoying my FitBit One, and then my puppy decided it would make a good snack. Still trying to decide if I buy a new one or go for one of the bracelet types.

• Brie
    February 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I vote for the Keto experiment! The hubs and I have been thinking about it. For now we are doing a whole 30/sugar detox mix. I am so excited to read all the new blog posts! Good luck in your workouts. I always feel great after workouts.

• Sizzle
    February 3, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Those are good goals! I didn’t have goals until reading this but here are mine-
    1) go to bed by 10pm every night
    2) eat a piece of fruit every day
    3) hit 10,000 every day
    4) read one night instead of watching TV
    5) send a letter/card to a friend in the mail

• Alli
    February 3, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I hope you DO at least 5 of those posts…all of those sound like posts I would really like to read!!! (I also am aiming for a minimum of 4 workouts this week, rather than 3…ideally 5!!!)

• Steph
    February 3, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I love when you post! :)

Goals:
    1. Work out 4 times.
    2. Do all reading for class.
    3. Read Bible 5 days
    4. Floss 4 times.
    5. No sweets Tuesday-Saturday. (I blew it today.)
    6. {Bonus!} Get all cleaning done before hostessing duty begins this weekend.

• Tiffany
    February 3, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I really want to read your Gwynnie Bee and FitBit reviews! I feel you on the 4 workouts thing. Why is it so hard to add one more day?!?! My mini goals: 1. Wake up each morning without hitting the snooze button. 2. Bring my lunch to work three days this week. 3. Avoid the vending machine. 4. Keep a glass of water at my desk at all times. 5. Watch no more than one episode of Grey’s Anatomy each night (totally binge watching the earlier seasons).

February 4, 2014 at 9:29 am

Good goals! You’re really challenging yourself with that Grey’s Anatomy one. I vividly remember not leaving the house when I started to watch the earlier seasons. So addicting! :)

• Rachel @ Pain-Free Kitchen
    February 4, 2014 at 8:15 am

Excited to read your upcoming posts, especially about the FitBit. Been going back and forth on whether I really need another gadget I might not use.

Also I thought of a book recommendation. I’m currently reading Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard, by Chip and Dan Heath. It’s actually pretty interesting. The basic theory is in order to make a change (whether that’s working out more or to stop eating desserts) you need to please both your emotions (personified as an elephant) and your head (the rider of the elephant).

The book is filled with examples and goes into further detail. Might be worth a look. Not that you need any more on your to-read list :)

• Carmen
    February 4, 2014 at 8:41 am

I love this post! It has made me think about my personal goals for the week, something I have not done in a long time. I do daily work goals and lists, but my personal life could use a little make over. So, because I haven’t set weekly goals in a long time and because I have not been taking care of things around the house lately (damn depression!), my goals are pretty basic:

1. Keep the kitchen clean
    2. Take out the trash when it needs to be taken out
    3. Keep up on cleaning the kitty litter
    4. Do laundry AND fold and put away clothes
    5. Leave the house at least 3 days during Mon-Fri

• Home Sweet Sarah
    February 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Oh man, this is a good idea (as all of yours are…I remember once seeing that you track your workouts over a month-long period and that was a life-changer for me! I used to get so bent over working out a set number of days each and every week and it was maddening. I’d beat myself up if I only worked out 3 days instead of 5 or I would start to get anxious around Wednesday or Thursday if I’d only worked out once. Tracking over the month was so much more low key and then I’d find I worked out half the days of the month or whatever and it was like, hey, that’s pretty good and bonus: No mindfuckery. ANYWAY, my point is, breaking things down into smaller goals (or in this case, broader goals? But smaller in that it’s less pressure? Who knows, I’m rambling) is really beneficial. So, weekly goals! I like it!

It’s Wednesday, so the week is half over, but my goals for yesterday – Friday are as follows:

Drink 80 oz. water per day
    Eat a salad or sauteed green each day
    No drinking till Saturday (BIRTHDAY CELEBRATE IN SF AWW YEAH)

I guess I should have other goals, maybe something not health and fitness related, but oh well.

P.S. Bought that Suave Moroccan oil shampoo & conditioner your rec’d…I have high hopes!

• 5 Simple Goals
    February 9, 2014 at 1:53 pm

[…] week I made a short list of 5 Simple Goals. Here’s a quick little recap of what they were and how I […]