Wednesday Bullets

Just doing a little bit of spackling and painting.

*I was going to write a “Currently” post because I have so many things on my mind to share, but I think It would mostly read like this — Currently:
Eating: way too much candy
Hoovering: tootsie rolls into my mouth along with peppermint bark.
Navigating: life on a serious sugar high.
Feeling: bloated, obviously.
Avoiding: Garrett because he has the flu and has been down for the count with a fever for 4 days now.

In short, it would have been the least interesting and entertaining “Currently” post ever. So now, we do BULLETS!

****

*Mmmm…speaking of Bullets (or Bulleit, as it were) I am OBSESSED with this cocktail. And for some reason every time I drink it I wish that I was eating Bacon Wrapped Scallops. I may make that happen this weekend. And yes I do enjoy shaking up cocktails in my blender bottle. IT WORKS!

Doubles as a cocktail shaker!

*So why all the drinking? Well, last minute work deadlines, the finishing of Christmas shopping, sick spouses, and the ABSOLUTE UNSEXINESS of having to spend over $1000 on repairs for your car the week before Christmas have me needing a little drink now and then, ya know? Bad Habits are abounding this year for me. I really can’t wait to get that in check!

*Completely unrelated: I have a new obsession with You Tube Beauty/Lifestyle/Organization Bloggers…or uh, Vloggers. But ew. No. I hate the word Vlog. It started because I was reading In Style and there was a list of Social Media Awards that had interesting people to follow in Instagram. One of them was Rachel Talbott from Check In The Mirror so I watched a couple of her videos and they were fun and fluffy and then I was like, “Hmmm…who else can I follow?”

*Well I’ll tell you who:
- Ashley of MakeupTIA – whose blog I used to follow and had forgotten was doing You Tube videos. She’s just the cutest.
- Rachel Haysidt – who is pretty hilarious.
- Reachel Bagley of Cardigan Empire – who couldn’t get any more adorable if she tried.
- Kendra of Vlog with Kendra who has the cutest Shiba puppy ever and makes me want a dog sister for Buster daily.
- Jayme and Mendi of Her Late Night Cravings – two VA gals talking clothes, hair and makeup.
- Estee of Essie Button – Product Junkie and You Tube Enthusiast, she has like a million channels.
- Mallory of Mallory Loves Makeup – I mean, it’s clear she does.

*The upside of this is that I have found a lot of great skincare and makeup suggestions lately. The downside is that I have bought more eyeshadow alone in the last 60 days than I’ve bought in the last 6 years.

*I’ve also loved watching all the food/cooking shows on Tastemade. Clearly You Tube is my new BFF.

*It’s been fun because I’ve been brainstorming a lot about how to incorporate more video into this here old fashioned website (God, HOLLY, without video you are SO BEHIND THE TIMES – HA!) and it’s definitely got my creative juices flowing watching how others do it. That said, I’m also very aware that I am completely out of my league and have no idea what I’m doing in that space, so you know 2014 might get ugly and inexperienced around here. :) Who wants to sit around and talk with me while we take video?

*Wait, that just got weird.

*Are you all ready for the holidays? Are you drinking more cocktails than usual? Are you kicking ass and taking names at life? If so, PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.

9 comments to Wednesday Bullets

• Stephanie
    December 18, 2013 at 10:58 am

Glad to hear I am not the only one in a shame spiral of unhealthy choices…but thats what New Year’s is for, right? I started with tootsie rolls, then moved on to anything containing chocolate and peppermint and now I am onto pumpkin bread….although I just ate the last piece, alas…you are not alone. Merry Christmas!

• Beth
    December 18, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I’ve had so many egg nog lattes this holiday season it’s unreal. Every night I say tomorrow is the day I reclaim my healthy habits and every morning I find myself auto-piloting into the SBUX parking lot. Maybe tomorrow…

• Noblepower
      December 20, 2013 at 6:09 am

SBUX sounds like an airport – I don’t know what Seattle’s airport’s code is, but maybe they should change it to SBUX? I suspect it would be a VERY popular airport . . .
      :-)

• Linda Sand
    December 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Please, don’t switch to doing a lot of video. Those of us with limited bandwidth thank you.

December 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Excuse me while I disappear into the YouTube black hole and watch ALL OF THESE! <3

• Jillian
    December 18, 2013 at 6:04 pm

You’re killing me with the videos! Last year, around this time, I found http://www.youtube.com/user/emilynoel83 when I was looking for tips on wedding makeup, and I became totally obsessed and watched all of her videos in like 3 days. Then I cut myself off. But, I will have to check out all of these ladies you posted now. Thanks!

• Jillian
    December 18, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Oh, and I second not doing a ton of video on the blog. Mostly because I’m always looking at blogs when I’m not supposed to be or while Keegan is watching tv, so I basically just ignore video posts. :)

• Rachel @ painfreekitchen
    December 19, 2013 at 8:26 pm

See, I knew we would be friends in real life too. I’ve been watching youtube for the last 5 years. Five years. It’s my guilty pleasure. Try explaining that one to your friends “Oh well I’ve been watching these girls talk about make-up since 2008.” Whenever it does come up, Jake typically looks the other way and shakes his head.

Also it led to my makeup collection. It’s a beast. Right now it takes up an entire chest of plastic drawers.

So my advice to you is beware of falling down the rabbit hole :) But if you insist:

1. I second Jillian’s suggestion of EmilyNoel83. Also known as Beauty Broadcast. She knows her stuff when it comes to drugstore makeup. She’s tried everything.
    2. Also check out Leighannsays. I have a feeling you might enjoy her humor as much as I do.
    3. If you’ve watched Rachel, I’m assuming you also have discovered her friend Nikki Phillippi. She’s fun although more for the younger crowd
    4. Michele1218 is a new mom and a jewelry lover. She’s got a down to earth feel to her.
    5. One of the two biggest youtube stars is Elle Fowler. Her and her sister were pretty much the first youtube girls back in 2008. I really like Elle even though they have been doing a lot of sponsored videos lately.
    6. Shaaanxo is a bit of a party girl but she does a ton of fun eyeshadow tutorials
    7. Leesha C is a rocker-chic who loves wearing colorful eyeshadow. I tend to stick to neutrals but it’s still fun to watch.

Actually….it might just be easier for you to look at all of the people I’m currently subscribed to – https://www.youtube.com/user/sprifty/about

And also wanted to mention that if you want to make videos, you go make those videos! Back in 2008 I turned to my best friend and said “man I could do this. I could make beauty videos.” But I never did. Biggest regret ever.

• Susannah
    December 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Mmmmmm, I’m drinking Negronis and Vespers. Not at the same time because that would get sloppy fast! Love love love a cocktail!