2013 Goals — How’d I Do?

Holly Would If She Could - 2013 GoalsI almost didn’t set goals in 2013, and my reasoning for that in my original post was as follows: “The thing is, I want 2013 to be the year that I am PRESENT. And goal setting, while super duper awesome can be the gateway drug to living in the future (for me!)”    While I ultimately did decide to set some goals, it’s funny how — regardless of my To Do List — 2013 was constantly challenging me to be present. Things worked out so much different than I thought they would when I made this road map one year ago, but despite all of that I wanted to go through and make my check marks. LIST MAKERS FOREVER!!!!  :)

The areas I focused on were Fitness, Fun, Relationships, My Jobs, and this Blog. Here’s how all of that shook out.;

Fitness Goals

*Train for and run The Relay
*Run another half marathon Aw hell no! 10 miles + The Relay was enough.
*Continue CrossFit 4-5 per week This obviously did not happen despite some good efforts.
*Do a pull up. By yourself. Without a band. This is like my holy grail goal.
*Map out a plan to improve your lifting technique I took a class! I worked with a lifting coach! I definitely improved, and I have the PRs to prove it.
*If you have time, incorporate some yoga for mobility So glad I finally did this.

Fun + Relationships

*Get married THE ENTIRE INTERNET IS TAPPING THEIR TOES, GARRETT! :)
*Private
*Keep up with The Great Skincare Experiment and transition to 100% Natural Skincare I kept it up. I transitioned to 100% Natural Skincare. And then guess what? I WENT BACK TO THE DARKSIDE. I’ll talk more about that in 2014, but things are going really well with my skin right now!
*Get professional photos taken with Garrett again Super fail. We barely took any selfies this year. So sad.
*Plan a weekend away with girlfriends While I didn’t do this on such a grand scale since I traveled so much for work, I think I took major advantage of that work travel for girlfriend time, so I’m checking this off!
*Read 50 books BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I think I read less than 20.
*Do another year of Project Life Purposely stopped this after I got my job. Project Life is awesome, it just wasn’t a priority AT ALL this year.
*Write one hand written note per month Fail.
*See a city with Garrett that is new Double Fail.
*Document your outfits more in an effort to dress better at work I got pretty good at regularly putting my OOTDs on Instagram. Follow me there if that is your thing, I’ll be doing it again in 2014.
*Stop bringing/prepping so much food at parties Garrett suggested this one and I TOTALLY did it. It was like REALLY REALLY REALLY hard, but I managed to be reasonable about volume of food at parties, when entertaining, or when “bringing something” to a gathering.
*Take a Butchering class I didn’t. But I’ve got my eye on this for next year.
*Update home decor “If you feel like it and have time” was how I pitched it to myself this year. The cliffs notes: I did NOT feel like it, nor did I have time. :)

Professional + Blogging Goals

*Do more public speaking I did the same amount. We’ll call that completed.
*Write a cookbook I am proud of This deserves a whole huge blog post of its own. Maybe one day.
*Post 52 new recipes to the blog I posted 9. This makes me sad.
*Redesign website This deserves a whole huge blog post of its own also. I have VERY bad web design luck.
*Start a sponsorship/advertising program that builds community Nope. 2014 goal? Yep.
Private
*Meet more blog readers/bloggers Nailed it! And it was awesome!
*Be a better blog commenter I will say sort of. It went in waves.

*****

And the thing I made a goal to keep in mind all year long:

Its ok to be happy with a calm life

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Ha.

Ha.

My life this year did not feel calm AT ALL. But I guess that’s okay, because I went into most things with open eyes. I changed direction early on this year, but I’m happy to see I still got some of this done. I will definitely be setting goals for 2014, but they will probably be more fun, funny and superficial with a few To-Do items thrown in. I need a year off from accomplishing things and a year to just focus on feeling how I want to feel. It’s going to be a change of pace, but a good one I think.

Hope you all have a happy and safe new year!

11 comments to 2013 Goals — How’d I Do?

• Roberts
    December 31, 2013 at 11:15 am

You let me know when you do that butchering class. I have an interest in that as well.

• Ellen
    December 31, 2013 at 11:49 am

GARRETT! I legit am tapping my toes. I can’t believe you guys aren’t married yet.
    {it’s so fun to comment on your blog as if we are friends because in my head we so are}

• Beth
    December 31, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Love your recap, but so happy I came across the “It’s okay to be happy with a calm life” quote again. Perfect timing for going into 2014.

And I’m totally looking forward to the post when you share your bling with us readers. 😉

• KellyBrown
    December 31, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Are you going to use the Leonie Dawson 2014 book this year??? I think it was you who recommended it last year. Or else I’m losing my mind. But alas, I bought one in 2013 and never did anything with it. I’m thinking ’14 might be the year for it as a tool to shape goals.

And seriously only 20 books? With all that travel you’ve got captive audience time for reading and audio books!

January 2, 2014 at 8:20 am

I AM going to use that this year. I really enjoy her stuff!

The book situation was DIRE this year, girl. I spent a lot of time on my laptop on planes, so this year maybe I will make that one little change and JUST READ. :) Happy New Year!

• Susannah
    January 1, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Happy New Year Holly! I am doing another Whole30 this month and I pulled out my notes from last Jan. which included my 2013 goals. I managed to complete four of them and they were all good goals – realistic, measurable, etc. etc. But 2013 turned out to be a really hard year with a lot of loss and pain…not what I expected (who ever does?) I’ll take this week to think about my goals for 2014 because I enjoy making lists and having goals (don’t all the cool kids?)
    One thing I’m taking away from last year is that I will look at my goals and think about them every month. That, at least, I can control.
    Best wishes for 2014!

January 2, 2014 at 8:19 am

You too, Susannah! I feel like a lot of folks I know had a rough 2013. Here’s to hoping 2014 will be a whole lot of unicorns and rainbows… 😉

• Rachel @ Pain-Free Kitchen
    January 7, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Haha I laughed out loud when I got to your marriage goal. Glad Jake and I aren’t the only ones. Both of our parents have just started to pretend that we are married.