Fun Things To Read On A Friday

I love you weekend

Finally I can drink! And eat bacon! But here’s the rub: My plan includes running a billion miles this weekend (well, not quite that many) but drinking doesn’t really help that situation. Sigh. I will figure something out, I promise.

So. Drinking. Running. Reading. (Current Book is excellent so far. YES!) This should hopefully shake out nicely. Speaking of reading, here is some stuff I enjoyed reading this week:

*Since I plan to pour through my book this weekend, I particularly enjoyed How To Read And Get Flat Abs. This needs an infomercial! :) Think you don’t have time to read? I loved the tips in How To Read A Book A Week. (Amy has a great blog, btw! A veritable potpurri of interesting content. I said potpurri in my Alex Trebek voice right there, just so you know.)

*Lots of great tips is this post about How To Organize Your Life Online. I’m basically interested in reading how ANYONE organizes ANYTHING. I think this is why I like Pinterest so much.

*I’m at a bit of a professional crossroads right now. So much to say about this, but you know…blogs are not the spot for workplace talk and all that. I’ll tell you though that being at that crossroads, I immensely enjoyed The Secret Ingredient For Success

It’s easy to find pat ways to explain why the world has not adequately rewarded our efforts. But what we learned from conversation with high achievers is that challenging our assumptions, objectives, at times even our goals, may sometimes push us further than we thought possible.

*Want to think about serious things for a minute? This post about food fraud led me down a rabbit hole of head shaking.

*I read this post about being right on the cusp of plus sized clothing and thought it was interesting. I have to say though, I sort of enjoy being right on the cusp. I feel like I have MORE options, rather than less.

*Goals are an illusion! I think this has so many great points, even as an obsessive goal-setter.

It can be so easy to compare our goals to those we see our friends setting and those floating around the internet. But in reality, each goal is unique and the process of reaching that goal will look different for every person. And that’s okay.

*Neil Gaiman lost his dog recently, and what he wrote about it broke my heart into a million pieces. And then I read Sizzle’s post about her mom’s dog and immediately donated $20. God you guys, somewhere along the line finding our little dog has just turned me into a complete sap. I can’t even IMAGINE anything happening to Buster (WEEP!) and we have only had him for 5 months. 5 months today, actually! Aw…Gratuitous dog pic opportunity. BAM:
Saturday is for snuggles!

*Salon wrote a great Guide To Writing A Memoir. You should read it and then write one. I want to read it.

*****

So…did you read any life changing links this week? Pass em on. And also…HAVE A DAMN GOOD WEEKEND!

12 comments to Fun Things To Read On A Friday

February 1, 2013 at 6:55 am

Loved The Secret Ingredient For Success but fortheloveofallthatisholy I would never sleep again if I read Dark Places! Just reading the Amazon description is going to give me nightmares! :(

P.S. I refuse to read that goals piece. I like goals. Haha

• Andrea
    February 1, 2013 at 7:07 am

Holly, you always link the best stuff! That Lemon and Raspberry blog looks great. Actually, I was wondering if you would consider doing a post(s) of blogs you read. I think I remember a LONG time ago you did one about fashion bloggers, but I’d be interested in other ‘lifestyle’ blogs you read. I found “Princess Nebraska” when you linked her Best Books of 2012 post and just love her now, and you seem to have lots of other good reads too. :)

February 1, 2013 at 8:43 am

So much to click over to read!

I wanted to say thanks for linking to Oliver’s post. I’m such a complete sap for pets. I always donate when there is an animal in need. I tried volunteering at the shelter and I couldn’t because I wanted to take them all home! So instead I donate. Thank you for your contribution.

February 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I know. I can’t hardly even get near a shelter without trying to convince Garrett that we can totally make a nice life for like 900 other pets!

• amy t schubert
    February 1, 2013 at 8:51 am

Thanks for including my link! These all look great :)

• Olivia
    February 1, 2013 at 8:59 am

I’ve been wanting to write a memoir for a long time…but I’m afraid of hurting people’s feelings! I guess I could just do it for myself, for now? Great article.

• Jill
    February 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Oh man, that Neil Gaiman blog post!! When I read it, my husband was out getting breakfast and he comes home to me in a mess of tears and snot (which isn’t ENTIRELY unusual during this pregnancy) and he was like, “what happened, are you ok??”. And I wailed “Neil Gaiman’s dog died!!” and proceeded to sob. Hubs was incredibly understanding. Lol.

February 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Jeeeeez, I know, right? It was so touching but also every time I read it (yes, I’ve re-read it because I am a glutton for punishment) it just kills me. But I also find it so affirming of what a wonderful thing it is to have an animal in your life.

• Arsy
    February 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I loved that article on how to get your online life organized! So many good tips! My 10 inboxes are all disasters right now. I am going to start with the DMZ method today. I was actually going to ask you, if you could write a post sometime with tips on how to get & stay organized. Oh, and one on how to manage a blog, while you have full-time career. To me, it seems like you have that one lock down! :) … Enjoy the wine & have a great run!

• Liz
    February 2, 2013 at 5:13 am

I just wanted to say that I almost always have a better run when I have a glass or two of wine the night before. I’m not sure why, but I have tested it on dozens of races :)