5 Things To Do With: SPINACH

5 Things To Do With Spinach // Holly Would If She Could

I was going to start this post by saying that I am not a huge fan of spinach, but that’s not 100% true. If this website was called into evidence, it would obviously reveal that I do like spinach salad covered in warm bacon dressing. I mean, duh. Also, I don’t think they let you even HAVE a blog these days if you don’t have a recipe for a green smoothie that you endorse, so there is always that. I finally developed a taste for warm spinach in a breakfast casserole and then I branched out to eating it in a dinner appropriate egg dish that, while delicious, is ugly as sin.

(Oh man, Joe’s Special is just so darn ugly. But you all, it has helped me embrace TWO ingredients I don’t normally love – spinach AND mushrooms. WHAT? I’m convinced it’s a Miracle Food. A really ugly Miracle Food.)

Anyway, the fact is though, my brain always defaults to thinking about how I can “hide” the spinach. Maybe you can love a side dish of sauteed spinach, but I have to be honest, it makes me feel like I’m eating wilted grass. I just can. not. abide. So I hide! And now I’ve made a spinach poem. We may be at an all time low here, you all. If you are a hider too (no need to be a poet) here are my 5 favorite ways to get some spinach in your meal without it having to be the main act:

1. Stuff It In A Muffin

Meat and Spinach Muffins (from The Clothes Make The Girl)
Meat Spinach Muffins - The Clothes Make The Girl dot Com

This recipe is a gem (as is Mel’s cookbook Well Fed) and I love the novelty of having a muffin that isn’t overly eggy and is packed with a protein/veggie punch.

2. Add It To A Soup

Paleo Stracciatella (from Goddess Lifestyle Plan)
Paleo Stracciatella

Recently my mom made me a batch of chicken soup and she just happened to throw in spinach because she had some…BRILLIANT! This led me down a rabbit hold of spinach-type soups and I found this recipe for Paleo Stracciatella which looks delicious!

3. Prep A New Pesto

Lemon Thyme Chive Spinach Pesto (from Caveman Connoisseur)

lemon thyme spinach pesto

Such a versatile and verdant little change up, right? I can’t wait to try this. I may substitute something for the pecorino, or find some raw parmesan, but regardless this will be making its way on to my menu soon.

4. Change Up Your Chimichurri

Grilled Skirt Steak with Spinach Chimichurri (from Cooking In Red Socks)

chimichurri

Grilling season is right around the corner and Chimichurri is one of my favorite toppers for grilled meat and vegetables. How about getting creative and working in some greens?

5. Mix It Into A Burger

Turkey Spanikopita Burgers (from Tastebook)

spanikopita burger

This is in pretty regular rotation at our house, sometimes with raw feta, sometimes without and let me tell you it is delicious either way! Definitely worth trying, and if you serve it over a bed of raw spinach: EXTRA CREDIT! :)

*****

What’s your favorite way to hide spinach? Have a good recipe? Don’t forget to share!

Original Spinach Image Source

11 comments to 5 Things To Do With: SPINACH

• Cavegirl Cuisine
    February 5, 2013 at 8:55 am

Great article and I love the recipes you chose!

• AndreAnna
    February 5, 2013 at 9:05 am

I literally eat a huge bag of spinach by myself every week.

Basically, I’m Popeye.

I mostly sautee it with onions and top with some feta and eat with scrambled eggs, but I also toss it in with almost any burger or meatloaf I make. It’s sneaky like that! :)

• Melissa "Melicious" Joulwan
    February 5, 2013 at 10:56 am

Thanks for the love! I’ve always been a spinach fan, and I have a new recipe coming in Well Fed 2 that I think you’re going to like. Let’s just say it’s garlicky and creamy and fast to make and OMG.

• Samantha
    February 5, 2013 at 11:59 am

I love spinach, but my husband had an unfortunate incident with it in daycare and isn’t such a fan. I put it in soup too, but cut it almost into very thin slivers. Even my super-picky 10 years old (and the 38 year old big one) will eat it that way!

• Mariah B
    February 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I love spinach… I never even eat lettuce anymore! I’m definitely going to have to try those spinach burgers.. yum!
    My favorite way to have spinach is lightly sauteed with a panful of broccoli, cauliflower, onions, etc.

Thanks for the links!

• Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not
    February 5, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I love spinach in smoothies. Bananas or protein powder hide the taste completely.

February 6, 2013 at 9:35 am

I like to put spinach in a smoothie with banana and almond milk. BAM!

• Kerry
    February 6, 2013 at 10:30 am

I’ve found that your traditional supermarket spinach isn’t all that tasty. I’d suggest that you try and find the “Bloomsdale” variety. You may find it more to your liking especially if you enjoy greens such as chard. It doesn’t wilt down into a slimy texture the way the other stuff does. I’ve seen it at Whole Foods as well as received it in CSA boxes. You can also grow it as the seeds are relatively easy to find.
    Thanks for the post. That turkey burger looks great! I’m in agreement about upcoming grilling season…can’t wait!

• Elsha
    February 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm

We have a couple soup recipes that call for spinach, and of course I love it in my salads, but I also recently tried a spinach manicotti that was very yummy!

• Diana
    February 9, 2013 at 4:42 am

Great meal suggestions! Hubby loves to eat spinach and I’m pretty sure that he will love these dishes.