We Can’t All Be Perfect

Can I tell you what I am absolutely terrible at? Realizing that I am sick. The last time I was forced to realize I was sick I was trying to donate blood at a blood drive and was brutally rebuffed after having a fever of 101. Of course as soon as they said “Well are you feeling sick?” I started to realize…oh right, I have been super tired and my body has been achy and I’m not really eating anything and hmmm…but until the idea was forced upon me I was just walking around clueless and acting like an ass (ie: doing training runs for the half marathon last time around.)

ARCFit Group Photo

photo credit

I experienced a little bit of deja vu this weekend. I was sneezy and congested all weekend but thought it was probably allergies. I got up and went for a run Saturday morning on a trail full of trees, that’s probably why I was sneezing! We had been out at a CrossFit competition all day and we had taken the dog — “It’s probably just allergies!” I had taken a couple of really long naps (which, while enjoyable, lately it is very unlike me) “Hmmm…I guess I was just tired.” It’s like I just can’t do the health math. Must’ve failed that subject in school.

Yesterday I got home from going to 4 different grocery stores and it was literally all I could do to get the groceries in the house before collapsing on the couch in a stuffed up heap! Temperature: 100 degrees. Hmmm…no wonder the 3 mile run I had done that morning felt so slow and heavy.

IDIOT.

I wrote a To-Do list on Friday morning that had 17 things on it. Currently 14 are not crossed off and I’m feeling a little stressed about that, but I have to take it easy today . I am feeling better this morning, but not 100% so I’m just going to try and ease back into real life without diving head first into something stupid and then getting full blown sick! Like, uh, working out this afternoon which I suggested to Garrett and he just looked at me and shook his head. Crap, I don’t know — it looks like a fun workout! But I probably should just stay home and write a love letter to my immune system for packing such a powerful punch already this weekend.

I’m bummed this is all happening at the end of the Whole 30 because I feel like my cheerleading should be at an all time high right now since we are all about to cross the finish line. But know that I am cheering you on in spirit. We are almost there folks!

10 comments to We Can’t All Be Perfect

• Danielle
    January 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

Ugh! Damn colds. I suffered through one during the first couple weeks of my Whole30 – not how I wanted to kick it off. Hopefully with all the clean eating you’ve been doing, your immune system will be able to kick it quickly. Feel better!

January 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

I’m a full believer in mind-over-body so when I get knocked on my @$$ by a virus I’m a total pathetic mess. And having seen you Saturday – looking lovely as always – I wouldn’t even have guessed! I have to say that while not perfect at being sick – You’re still kind of a badass!

• Emily
    January 28, 2013 at 11:33 am

Oh man :( I hope you are feeling better soon! With all that whole food goodness running through your veins, hopefully you’ll be back up and running in no time!

January 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I’m pretty much the opposite. I am in tune with even the slightest deviation from my regular health and get a little crazy about self-care when it comes to these sorts of things. The moment I feel run down I start popping Zicam and extra vitamin C, get extra sleep, avoid alcohol/sugars, wash my hands extra, and minimize my plans. I’m a freak.

I hope you feel better!

• Sarah B
    January 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Aww, hope you feel better soon. You’re such a go getter! I’m a little bit Type A myself. When I get sick I try to remember that it’s my bodies way of telling my ego to take a break. It is hard for my ego to listen to that one. :-)

• Arsy
    January 28, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Bummer! Hope you feel better, Holly! I know it’s hard to ignore the to do list, but get lots of sleep & rest, lady!

• Manda
    January 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I actually have NO problem admitting I’m sick. I’m terrible at being sick, unfortunately for everyone around me. Sigh. Hope you feel better friend!

• Alicia
    January 28, 2013 at 2:58 pm

So sorry to hear you’re feeling under the weather, especially in the last days of your Whole30! Hope you get lots of nutritious comfort food and rest.

• KellyBrown
    January 29, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I got the horrible flu that was going around everywhere in Chicago right at Christmas. It turned into pneumonia and whopping cough (no joke). PLEASE take care of yourself!

January 30, 2013 at 8:21 am

I have, I promise! Being sick is just the absolute pits. It sucks to just long for “a regular, boring life.” haha Skipped the gym the last few days, and finally feel like I am full of TIGER BLOOD! :) Triumphant return this afternoon, I think. :)