Ground Beef & Spinach Egg Casserole

Ground Beef & Spinach Egg Casserole // Holly Would If She Could

Just about every Sunday I whip up an egg casserole while doing my food prep for the week. I use a 13×9 casserole dish because it yields 8 nice sized squares. Symmetry makes me happy! Plus then I can put them in individual containers with roasted vegetables so Garrett + I have a grab and go breakfast for the week. I assure you it would be just as lovely to serve to friends at brunch.

I have a few favorite breakfast casserole recipes that I rotate through so I don’t get bored, but for the last few weeks I’ve been making this one with ground beef and spinach. Seasoned ground beef and eggs go really well together, and when you throw in a metric ton of spinach you get to start your day off with a leafy green smugness that helps you run faster, jump higher and knock out your To-Do List with superhero-esque strength.

The best part about it? Very few ingredients!

Ingredients

Look at that. That’s nothing!

You start by sauteing half an onion until it is translucent, then browning ground beef and seasoning the mixture with salt, pepper and garlic powder. So far, so good, right? Then it’s time for the go-go juice. Uh, I mean the spinach. Let’s talk about the spinach for a second, shall we? I’m going to give you a really specific measurement to add and that is 2 to 4 large handfuls. Got that? :) It doesn’t matter if you have large hands or small hands, you just want to dig deep in your bag and pull out the biggest handful you can handle and then throw it in the pan. Repeat this until you are satisfied that you have enough giddy-up and go. The thing about spinach though is that it looks likes too much when you throw it in the pan, but then it cooks down to almost nothing. I have huge hands, which a jeweler recently confirmed to me (THANKS BUT NO THANKS WE WILL BUY NO JEWELRY FROM YOU!) so I like to use about 3 handfuls.

3 handfuls

See? Not too bad.

All that goes into a casserole dish, your seasoned eggs get poured over it (Yep, egg seasoning. It’s necessary!) Then you bake, and most importantly YOU EAT! That last part is the best part.

Egg Casserole

Enjoy it in your breakfast nook or out of a tupperware at your desk at work. Either way it’s a great dish and I hope you enjoy it!

5.0 from 2 reviews

• ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
  • 12 Eggs

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13×9 casserole dish
  2. Heat Olive Oil over medium in a large skillet
  3. Saute diced onion until translucent, about 5-7 minutes
  4. Add ground beef and crumble with a wooden spoon and brown until cooked through
  5. Season meat and onion mixture with ¾ teaspoons of salt and ¾ teaspoons of pepper and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
  6. Add spinach and let it wilt while stirring into the meat mixture
  7. Sprinkle in ⅛ teaspoon of nutmeg. This gives your spinach a little something extra!
  8. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl crack 12 eggs, season with remaining salt and pepper and scramble with a fork
  9. When spinach is wilted, transfer meat mixture to casserole dish
  10. Pour egg mixture over meat mixture
  11. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes
  12. Remove foil and finish baking for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to desired doneness

14 comments to Ground Beef & Spinach Egg Casserole

• Beatriz
    January 14, 2013 at 3:03 am

I am absolutely going to be trying this next week since I am going to be jumping on the Paleo bandwagon. YAY me. Getting in control of my health, and this time I am sticking to it. You have inspired me to write a blog so I can have all the information in one place. I hope you don’t mind if once I do this recipe I link it back to you. =) Thanks for the inspiration!

• Emily
    January 14, 2013 at 4:01 am

Holly, thanks for this and I’ll definitely be making it tonight, since I got super lazy this weekend. Do you think it would taste alright with kale instead of spinach? or no? Asking because I have a plethora of the stuff and need to use it!

January 14, 2013 at 6:47 am

I’m trying to get Sean to try this. I feel like he’s too old for these “but it’s a great way to hide the spinach” conversations… Yes, ladies & gentlemen, my boyfriend is 30.

• Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed
    January 14, 2013 at 7:12 am

I’m getting so sick of eggs without my beloved ketchup and cheese and we have about a zillion extra burgers in the fridge right now, so this is perfect! I’ll be making it tonight. Thanks for the continuous inspiration.

Day 8… still going strong! Avoided a bunch of dips at a party yesterday, literally took everything in me not to just stick my face in one of them. Looks like I DO have some willpower :)

• Beth
    January 14, 2013 at 7:51 am

Last night I tripled the Southwest Frittata, so I’m pretty sure 17 weekday mornings from now I’ll be clamoring for something new. However, the fact that I have more than 3 weeks of work day breakfasts individually wrapped in my freezer right now is more exciting than a bottle of champagne. Okay not really, but I feel like if I keep telling myself that maybe my bubbly craving will go away at some point in these 30 days?!?

• Rachel @ painfreekitchen
    January 14, 2013 at 8:09 am

Yes! As soon as I saw this on your instagram I immediately got excited. I’ve made little egg cups before but never thought to add meat. Will definitely be trying this out. Getting so sick of hardboiled eggs for breakfast.

• Mariah B
    January 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Enjoy your huge hands! I have tiny ones, and sometimes I think to myself, I could pull so much more weight/do so many more pullups/etc if only I had larger hands… But yeah, I wouldn’t buy anything from a jeweler that told you that. ;)

• Tiffany
    January 14, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Dang! I just made egg cupcakes last night for breakfast this week. This sounds so much better than those. On the list for next week!

Large hands = good hook grip. : )

• Susannah
    January 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I’ll be making this tomorrow for a party. Gotta bring our own clean protein! I am really missing wine. Must.be.strong.

• LizScott
    January 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm

[chinhands] tell me more about this jeweler.

;)

• Tarable
    January 16, 2013 at 9:11 am

I have been making/eating breakfast hash for MONTHS now. This recipe came at the perfect time, I made it last night and it turned out awesome. Great recipe! I linked up to it (and touted praise to you) on my most recent blog post.

• Becky
    January 17, 2013 at 6:40 am

I make something similar every week, and I’m always looking for new flavor twists.

I used to add a little milk to scrambled eggs. Now, I use coconut milk. The slight sweetness adds just the right “something” for me.

• Sophia
    January 17, 2013 at 7:51 pm

This looks yum. Like all the ingredients definitely going to try it.

• 5 Things To Do With: SPINACH
    February 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

[...] smoothie that you endorse, so there is always that. I finally developed a taste for warm spinach in a breakfast casserole and then I branched out to eating it in a dinner appropriate egg dishe that, while delicious, is [...]