I recently wrote about Healthy Super Bowl Food for a local magazine and shared my favorite strategy for keeping things in check on game day: Incorporate as many vegetables as possible! I thought it might be on your mind too, and since many of us will be getting together with friends and enjoying a fun afternoon, I wanted to pop in real quick and share a simple recipe to help your healthy eating cause. This bite-sized appetizer is not only super delicious, but Whole 30 compliant!
If you are feeling really creative, you could even customize the filling to include MORE vegetables if you wanted. I have to admit, I’m not really a mushrooom fan, but something about the salty, spicy bite of a chorizo stuffing just compliments the earthy flavor of a mushroom. It’s an awesome match-up, and hopefully the Super Bowl will be too!
- 16 White Mushrooms, half the stems reserved and finely diced
- 12 oz Pork Chorizo
- 1 Tablespoons Ghee or Butter, divided
- ½ Red Onion, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 oz of pork rinds, crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a paper towel or a damp dish towel. Hold stems firmly and pull out. This will leave the hollow portion in the middle for stuffing.
- Reserve half the stems and chop them finely into small bits and set aside with the filling ingredients.
- In a large pan over medium high heat melt 1 Tablespoon of ghee
- Brown mushrooms in batches, careful not to overcrowd the pan, about 6 minutes each side
- When Mushrooms are browned, set aside in a greased 13×9 pan
- In a separate pan while you are browning your mushrooms, crumble 12 oz of pork chorizo into a pan over medium high heat and cook until most of the surface is brown and crispy (about 10-12 minutes)
- Remove crispy chorizo from pan and set aside, while leaving about aTablespoon of pan drippings behind
- In the chorizo drippings, sauté ½ red onion and mushroom stems over medium high heat until browned (about 5 minutes) then add salt and ¼ teaspoon of dried parsley
- Mix the chorizo back in to pan with other ingredients and then scoop filling into each mushroom
- Top with remaining ¼ teaspoon of parsley and (optional) crumbled pork rinds and bake at 350 for 20 minutes