Oh, Hey…

I had a super positive post ready to go live this morning, but when I woke up my mood was sort of crummy and it felt a little dishonest.

I’ve been cooking, cleaning, traveling, entertaining or working for basically the last 2 weeks straight and I’M TIRED, you all. But I also still have a house guest, and meals still need to be cooked and coffee still needs to be made and waters refreshed.

Also, Garrett’s grandma died suddenly yesterday. While it is really nice that Garrett’s mom is here and we can all be together (especially since our plan was to be with her brothers too on Thanksgiving) it has also sort of changed the landscape and the vibe of this visit.

I had lunch with Sarah today and it totally cheered me up to have a chat with a good friend! But we both were on the same page about how life right now is being measured in increments of time and events. The week Garrett’s mom is visiting. Thanksgiving. Christmas. Overall I very much have the feeling of “Let’s hurry up and just get through this so we can relax,” and I hate that.

With Garrett’s grandma passing away it is just another reminder life is short and uncertain, and as often as possible it is good to really try be in the moment. So I’m going to try and do that for the rest of the week, and part of that means I probably won’t post anything new here. I hope you understand.

I need be there for Garrett and for his mom. I need to be the best hostess I can be and make sure everyone is having a nice time. I need make sure I do what I can to contribute to a Thanksgiving for a family who is going through an unexpected rough patch. And for me to do that I need to make sure I have a little time to myself too.

So I’m putting my oxygen mask on first, and taking the rest of the week off. I also may be stashing a bottle of wine and a glass underneath the sink in my master bathroom just in case of emergency, but we’ll just keep that between you and me. :)

I hope you all have lovely Thanksgiving’s with your friends and families, and I will hopefully be back early next week with that dose of positivity that felt very genuine when I wrote it.

XO

19 comments to Oh, Hey…

• Steph
    November 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I will be praying for you all!

xoxo

November 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I’m so sorry about Garrett’s grandma. You’re doing the right thing to put on your oxygen mask first and to be there for people who need support. Take that time and be sure to be gentle with yourself too. The most important thing is the gift of time together so focus on that. The rest can be dealt with later. xo

• Linda Sand
    November 20, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I’m sorry for your loss. Do take care of yourself the best you can during this hectic time. We’ll be here whenever you feel you can come back.

November 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss Holls, that’s awful!

And I also hate that “hurry up so we can just get through this and breath again” feeling. Never a relaxing or enjoyable time. Good luck with everything!

• Meghann
    November 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I don’t see this post as negative at all! I reckon self care is one of the hardest things to do so good for you!! I really really really needed to hear the message of this post today. Cheers for that! I’ll be thinking of you and your family in the coming days. Take good care.

• Cami Sebern
    November 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Sending prayers and love to you and Garrett, during this difficult time. Taking time for them and for yourself will make your return all that much sweeter.

• missysoupy
    November 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Sing it with me: “It’s the moooost wonderful tiiiiime of the year…” Ha ha ha. It’s craziness, right?

• Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed
    November 21, 2012 at 6:25 am

So sorry for your loss! Happy Thanksgiving and good luck with all the entertaining!

• Amber
    November 21, 2012 at 8:02 am

So sorry for your loss. It’s amazing how the loss of a loved one puts so many things in perspective. Sounds like you have a great friend and support system, Try to stay positive but also allow yourself a little esacpe and self-reflection too. Sending good vibes your way.

• Maureen
    November 21, 2012 at 9:05 am

I’m so sorry to hear about the unexpected loss of Garrett’s grandmother. It is so sad to happen at any time, but so close to the holidays, seems to add even a deeper level of grief. My thoughts are with your family.

• Jesabes
    November 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

I’m thinking of you and your family. Enjoy being together during this time. I hope you get some rest and relaxation, too:)

• Susannah
    November 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I am also sorry for your loss. Glad the family is toether right now. Your plans to take off from here and take care of yourself and your loved ones are perfect. I hear you on the hurry up and get through the holidays. This stretch from now until the beginning of Jan. is crazy. We don’t celebrate Christmas but it isn’t hard to get caught up in the frenzy. Enjoy many hugs and laughs, good food and good wine and we’ll see you in a bit!

• Tami -- Teacher Goes Back to School
    November 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

so many hugs to you and garrett. i think that wine under the sink is a great idea.

maybe curling up under a giant blanket with everyone and watching movies and laughing too?

November 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm

We did exactly that with Caddyshack. Lots of laughs and I didn’t even NEED to dip into the undersink wine. LOL

• Michelle
    November 24, 2012 at 9:22 am

Holly, I’m so sorry to hear about Garrett’s grandma. :( I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that your Christmas is a little bit less strained. Holidays like this are what they made Paula Deen for. I know that’s dangerous information, but what are friends for? Much love to you and your family.

November 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Thanks Michelle! We drowned our sorrows in butter…definitely doing Paula Deen proud. :) Hope you guys had a great Turkey Day too! xo

• Rose-Anne
    November 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Oh, Holly, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are surrounded by as much love and help as you need during this very sad time. And I hope you are able to find some peace and quiet to take care of yourself. Much love to you!

• danielle
    November 26, 2012 at 6:43 am

just saw this post. so sorry about garrett’s grandma. Sending you a big hug.