Sometimes Whole Foods Makes Me Hate Myself

Whole Foods is 1 of 2 grocery stores convenient to my house. I don’t usually opt to go there as a first choice because it is more expensive for most items, but there are times it’s a must. I’ll need something in particular, only sold there, so I might as well just pick up a few things while I’m at it.

The other day it was cacao nibs. Not sold at my local grocer, so I hopped over to Whole Foods and picked up a few impulse buys (and a few other legit items that were *actually* on my list) and walked out $50 poorer, with only ONE bag full of groceries, and feeling like a walking cliche as I hopped into my Subaru.

Cacao Nibs
Probiotic Supplement
Chard
Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Carrots
Almond Milk
Sauerkraut
Organic Wildflower Honey
Sweet Potato Chips

I’m one bottle of Patchouli oil away from being a proud hippie.

9 comments to Sometimes Whole Foods Makes Me Hate Myself

• chelsea
    April 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

Dude. I wore flannel & birkenstocks to work yesterday, then walked to REI at lunch.

Had I stopped at Whole Foods, I would have just offed myself right there.

The honey from WF is so good though, and a relatively good deal.

• Primal Kitchen's Family Grokumentarian
    April 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Ha!! I know what you mean. That is so me at Whole Foods, too. Suddenly all the prices take on a weird context where everything makes perfect sense. Of course I should pay $5 each for a jar of Bubbies pickles and Bubbies relish!! I love them so! They’re probiotic! 😀 Then I manage to mow through them both inside of a week.

• Mary
    April 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

On a nearly completely unrelated note, what do you do with your cacao nibs? I bought mine with one or two ideas in mind a few months ago and now I have a giant bag and nothing to do with them… halp! :)
    also, I absolutely get sucked into the vortex that is whole foods– I can’t help it!

April 23, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I actually used them in a version of the Paleo Chocolate Chip cookies that I posted just the other day. I wanted to see how different they would taste than dark chocolate. They were pretty good with the cacao nibs. Not great, but ok. I’m glad I tried it, at least.

• eryn
    April 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

We don’t have a Whole Foods near us, so I don’t regularly shop there, but I will say that there are some things that their prices are cheaper on. For example, their organic apples are $1 a pound cheaper than the price at our closest grocery store. But all stores are like that — cheaper on some things and more expensive on others. They know most people don’t want to hop around to 5 stores to get all their grocery shopping done.

• Roberts
    April 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Wait i want to play Price is Right with those items. I shop at WF so much youd think this would be easy, except ive purchased maybe two of the items in that picture:

Carrots: $1.99
    Honey: $5.99
    Whatever salad dressing that is: $3.99
    Sauerkraut: $4.29 (dont ask me about the .29)
    Chard: $1.99
    Coconut Milk Ice Cream: $5.99
    Sweet Potato Chips: $4.49
    Almond Milk: $3.99
    I cant tell what that small plastic petri dish is but im guessing hummus: $2.79
    Cacao Nibs: $6.99
    Probiotic Supplement (ya 365 brand!): $7.99

Now im going to go to whole foods and see how i did. 😛

April 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I think you did pretty well except that Almond Milk is $ 1.99 at Whole Foods, which is just about as cheap as it gets. And the petri dish (ha!) was green onion cream cheese. Nice work!

• Tara
    April 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Everytime I see or hear the word cacao I think of the Portlandia skit where that’s their safeword. :)