Welcome!Hey there! I'm Holly. A 40+ year old Wife to Garrett, Mom to Holden and a million other things in between. This is the place where I share about our lives, what we are currently loving, books I'm reading, plus-size style, beauty recommendations, health + fitness endeavors and anything else I'm finding interesting at the moment. Thanks for stopping by!
Looking For Something?
Daily Archives: November 30, 2010
I don’t know what you do for fun, but I like to cook things and sometimes inspiration strikes at weird times. Maybe I need some other morning friendly hobbies, I don’t know. Sometimes Matt Lauer just doesn’t do it for my like my Le Creuset does.
Can we all just pause for a minute and think about where I can find a job where all I do is cook, read, drink coffee, and sometimes watch bad reality television in the morning? I would be an EXCEEDS Employee. Excuse me while I go update my LinkedIn Profile.
Anyway, this morning I was up early and since I had some extra time I made some chili. It occurred to me that I should share this chili recipe here for three reasons:
- It is Easy — so easy you can sleepwalk through it at 5am and have lunch ready by 6am!
- It is Very Customizable and Packs some Major Vegetable Punch in One Pot— flexible with the ingredients you have on hand, and efficient.
- It is Damn Good.
That is quite the trifecta, I think — so here we go.
Damn Good Chili
- 2 TBS Fat of Choice
- 1 Large Onion
- 3-4 Medium Carrots, small dice
- 1-2 Small Zucchini, small dice
- 2 Small Yellow Squash, small dice
- 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pepper
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Bell Peppers (any color), small dice
- Heat Fat of Choice in large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat
- Add Onion, Carrots, Zucchini and Yellow Squash and cook up until they get soften, about 5-7 minutes
- Add ground beef in to brown and break up into crumbles with spoon. Continue until beef is mostly cooked
- Add garlic and all seasonings through salt and pepper and toss with the meat and the vegetables
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and apple cider vinegar
- Bring pot up to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer
- Simmer, mostly covered but with lid a little cocked for 45 minutes
- Add bell peppers
- Simmer with the lid completely off for 15 more minutes
- Serve with toppings of your choice -- My recommendations are: avocado, black olives and diced scallions. YUM!